6 Steps For a Successful Meditation
Meditation is a very personal experience and you will find that what works well for one person may not work well for you. At first you will question whether you are meditating correctly and if you are using the right techniques. Just to alleviate your concerns there is no right or wrong ways to meditate. There are, however things you can do to prepare yourself to get the most out of your session.
1. Wear comfortable clothing: You will want to wear something that is not binding and will not be distracting. Loose fitting clothes that will allow your body to move and breathe freely are preferred. Loose fitting organic cotton will work perfectly.
2. Find your spot: Find a spot where you feel peaceful and at ease. It must be a good energy spot that is both secure and free of distractions. Perhaps by a tree in your yard or a room that is soft and pleasing to the eye and senses. Regardless of what place you choose you must be comfortable there. Most of us can sense a place that just feels right to them. There is no logical reason for this other than it just feels right. Use your intuition and you will know the right place for you to meditate. As you progress you will want to find different places to meditate. There are different energy patterns and different experiences to be found in different spots.
3. Choose the best position: There are several positions you can use and there is no hard and fast rule on the right one to use. I prefer to sit cross-legged on a soft thin pillow. In the beginning it will be easier to sit Indian leg style without placing one of your feet on top of the opposite leg. As you gain flexibility you will be able to graduate to this more traditional style called the half lotus. More important than the seated style you use is to make sure you keep your back straight. This will aid in allowing the energy in your body to flow freely. It will help to unblock your chakras and accelerate your meditation experience. It will be uncomfortable at first so don’t get discouraged. If you can only meditate for five minutes in the beginning then that is good enough. Try increasing the time with each session and in a short amount of time you will be doing twenty minutes of meditation with no problem. It is also helpful if you can incorporate some yoga into your daily routine to help strengthen your core and unblock the energy points in your body. This will greatly increase the comfort and effectiveness of your sessions.
4.Choose a type of meditation: Rather than explain all the different methods of meditation I will suggest the one that I feel is the most effective for a beginning meditation. Find some soothing music that you can listen to with a set of headphones. The music must be pleasing for you and not distracting. The music is not the focal point of the meditation but is used rather as a tool to help you get into a deep meditative state. There are many meditation soundtracks available and you should be able to find something that you like to help enhance your experience. I would also recommend that the music incorporate the use of binaural technology. This technology is a great adjunct to your program in that it will help you to achieve the correct brainwave state which will profoundly effect your sessions. Remember, music is just a tool to help you get to the state of consciousness we are looking for. You may find, as you get more experienced that you will not need the music to attain that state. You are training your body and mind on a specific feeling and soon you will be able to enter this state seamlessly at will. The state we are looking for is different for all of us but when you achieve it you will know.
5. Meditate on your chakras: There are seven main chakras points in your body, but we will only meditate on three of them. This meditation technique directs our focus on the Navel, Heart and Third Eye Chakras. As you start your session you will begin by concentrating on your Navel chakra. You will place your focus on this area of your body and nowhere else. If it helps you can place two fingers on this chakra to help you focus your concentration on this area. If you find your mind wandering, gently bring your focus back to the navel chakra. This chakra will generate a tremendous amount of energy as you become more proficient. You will spend about five minutes at first on each chakra. As you become more comfortable you will increase the time to ten minutes and then fifteen minutes. Include only the three chakras discussed and you will see that you will not need to waste your time on including the other chakras at this point. These three are quite powerful when opened and will induce profound experiences of consciousness. As you become an expert in this form of meditation you may want to experiment with the other chakras. That is completely up to you but I recommend against this at first. You must perfect this form of meditation before you can hope to gain the benefits of meditating on the other chakras.
6. Non-Thought: Throughout your meditation session it is vitally important that you practice non-thought. This will get easier as you progress in your training. As you feel your mind starting to wander slowly bring your attention back to the focal point of your awareness, which will be one of the chakras. This is one of the hardest things for us to do because we have not been trained to quiet our minds and listen to our inner voice. It is in this inner voice, which is no voice at all, where truly remarkable insights and understanding takes place. It is our gateway to the powers of our subconscious that holds the key to our ultimate spirituality and enlightenment. Meditating with these intentions in mind will help unravel the mystery of your true power and place in the universe.
Remember there is no absolute right or wrong way to meditate and the results we achieve are directly related to our expectations. If you have expectations of creating a more stress free life then that is what you will achieve. I will tell you however, that if you set your expectations higher you will achieve profound effects and one of the by-products will be a more stress free life.