Chronic back pain could be the result of a hectic work schedule, poor posture, simple muscle strain, increased muscle contraction, stretched muscles, excessive usage of muscles, and strain on the spine. Whatever be the reason, appropriate measures should be taken to achieve back pain relief. Rehabilitation services provided at pain management centers are a great option for treating chronic back pain.
Effective Rehabilitation Services
Rehabilitation services are effective to:
* Ease pain
* Restore the patient's independence
* Help the patient physically cope with everyday activities
* Prevent physical problems that the patient may acquire because of inactivity
* Increase function and prevent re-injury
Intensive rehabilitation programs are carefully planned and provided for people with chronic back pain. The treatment begins with a detailed physical and psychological evaluation. A study of the patient's medical and psychosocial histories and musculoskeletal examinations are carried out by the rehabilitation specialists. Once an accurate diagnosis is made, a treatment plan is developed.
Treatment Alternatives for Back Pain Problems
Physical therapy rehabilitation is important in back pain management. Based on the condition of the patient, physical therapists utilize a variety of physical therapy modalities and therapeutic exercise programs for providing back pain treatment. Specialty centers offer rehabilitation for post-surgical patients, which enables patients to return to the highest level of function, as quickly and safely as possible.
Maintaining a balanced and healthy life is essential to minimize the risk of chronic back pain. Physical therapy exercises are often administered by specialists, which are effective to mobilize and strengthen the muscles and joints, reduce pain, and increase flexibility and function.
During the initial stages of treatment, the pain management specialists use different kinds of equipment to relieve the stress and pain. These include:
* Rocker and Wobble boards
* Therabands that offer low tech elastic resistance
* Physioballs to increase balance
Treatment modalities used include:
* Myofascial Release - This is a hands-on treatment technique that helps to eliminate pain and restore motion.
* Chiropractic care - A hands-on therapy that involves spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustment. Highly effective in reducing the patient's level of pain
* Spine/tissue manipulation - the technique for manipulating the soft tissues of the back)
* Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) - A form of low - voltage electrical stimulation that provides short-term pain relief.
Back pain management services also include education programs. Through this, patients are given proper advice regarding the management and prevention of back pain. Treatment methods will differ from individual to individual, depending upon the condition of the patient. Pain management centers offer different types of rehabilitation services for chronic back pain, with all programs focused on promoting health and speedy recovery.